We’ve covered items that should not go down your drain, but what other steps can you take to prevent drain clogs before they happen?
Having a list of not-so-drain-friendly items will certainly help you keep things running smoothly, but it’s not the only way to prevent clogs.
To help keep your home’s plumbing system safe from unexpected plumbing backups, here’s a list of simple ways to keep your drains healthy and free of clogs.
- Place mesh screens over all of your drains – especially bathtub or shower drains – to catch hair, food particles, and other debris. This is probably the simplest, yet most effective thing you can do to maintain clog-free drains.
- If you don’t have a garbage disposal, be careful about putting leftovers down your sink. Scrape off any large leftovers into the trash before rinsing the plate off in the sink.
- Run hot water down your sink after each use. Hot water keeps oils in food products running down the drain, rather than building up on the interior surface of pipes, which can make drains sluggish and lead to clogs.
- Wash pets outside when the weather is warm enough. Once the colder weather sets in, if they need a bath indoors, lay a wash cloth over the shower drain to catch excess hair and dispose of the hair later in the garbage. You can also bathe your pet in a wash tub that you can dump outside when you are done.
- Teach children the importance of maintaining your home’s drain system. Make sure they understand toys should never be flushed, and any toy smaller than the drain shouldn’t be played with in the tub or put in the toilet.
Professional Drain Service —Available 7 Days A Week
We have expert technicians available 7 days a week to clear your drain lines and will give you options to solve your sewer problems permanently. Whatever the required repair may be, you can be sure we have the solution to take care of your problem.
For expert drain cleaning service and emergency rooter cleaning, call Donnelly’s at (215) 799-9763 or click the banner below to schedule your plumbing service.