Cooling and heating your home uses more energy and costs more money than any other system inside your home. During the summer, it can be hard to keep your home cool and comfortable without seeing a huge increase in your monthly utility bill.At Donnelly’s Plumbing Heating and Cooling, we want to help keep you informed on ways to reduce your energy consumption, save on your utility bills and still stay cool during the hot summer months.
Easy Ways to Stay Cool and Save This Summer
- Dryers and dishwashers produce a lot of heat. Use them in the early morning or late evening, try to avoid using them during the heat of the day. Also, when doing your laundry make sure to wash full loads is cold water whenever possible and avoid over-drying.
- If you use air conditioning, a ceiling fan will allow you to raise the thermostat setting about 4°F with no reduction in comfort. Remember to cut your fans off when you are not in the room. Ceiling fans are there to cool people, not to cool rooms.
- Replace air filters monthly for maximum benefit and check air and return vents on a regular basis to keep circulation air paths clear. Dirty filters cause air conditioning units to work harder, using more energy.
- Keep your house warmer than normal when you are away, and lower the thermostat setting to 78°F (26°C) only when you are at home and need cooling. A programmable thermostat can make it easy to set back your temperature.
- Use only lights and appliances you really need. Even a basic light bulb can add heat to a room. Grill outside on nice days and use a microwave instead of your conventional oven when possible.
- Curtains, blinds and shades keep the sun’s hot rays out of your house. Keep them closed on sunny summer days.
- Check for basement air leaks.
Energey Bills Still High? Give Donnelly’s A Call!
If you take these steps and you’re still seeing a stubborn upswing in those energy bills, you may find that your HVAC unit could be the one to blame.
At Donnelly’s Plumbing Heating and Cooling, we provide quality workmanship and exceptional customer service to our communities in the Bucks, Chester, Montgomery, and Delaware Counties here in Pennsylvania.
To schedule service, just give us a call at [hls_phone_number] or contact us online by clicking the banner below!