Temperatures are dropping and Fall is on its way. Before you pull out your fall boots and sweaters, have you thought about how your biggest investment will handle the cooler days ahead?
Even though summer isn’t completely over, it’s a great time to do some seasonal maintenance to keep your home running smoothly.
Being in the Suburban Philadelphia area, the climate can change quickly. Apply these quick tips and save yourself repair costs and aggravation later:
- Check Your Foundation – The first thing you should focus on is your home’s foundation. Check for cracks and caulk around the areas where masonry meets siding, where pipes or wires enter the house, and around the windows and door frames to prevent heat from escaping.
- Make Sure Your Roof Is In Good Shape – Check for missing shingles are ones that are buckled, cracked, or missing. Any loose, damaged, or missing shingles should be replaced immediately by a roofing specialist. If they aren’t replaced, your roof can suffer from water and ice damage.
- Clean Out Your Gutters – After all of the leaves have fallen, clear out your gutters. Flush them with water, inspect joints, and tighten brackets if necessary. Clogged gutters can lead to ice dams.
- Drain Garden Hoses – Make sure to empty your garden hoses and store them away.
- Weather-strip Your Garage Door – Make sure the seal between your garage door and the ground is tight to prevent drafts and keep out small animals.
- Inspect Your Driveway – If you have any cracks in your driveway, make sure to clean out and repair any damage with driveway filler and coat with a commercial sealant.
- Change Your Ceiling Fan Direction – Changing the direction of your ceiling fan creates an upward draft that redistributes warm air from the ceiling.
- Test Your Detectors – Test and change the batteries in your smoke and carbon dioxide detectors. Make sure to keep extras on hand at home.
- Freshen your filter. Clean or replace dirty furnace filters.
- Have Your Furnace Tuned – Contact a professional to make sure your furnace is prepared for the colder months ahead.
Schedule Your Furnace Tune-up Check With Donnelly’s!
Our experienced, friendly professionals at Donnelly’s Plumbing Heating and Cooling are ready to help before the temperatures begin to drop. Our heating professionals provide expert repair, replacements, or new heating system installations for you to make sure your family stays warm and comfortable all year long. Reach us by phone at [hls_phone_number] or contact us online at any time to schedule service!